Physicals are a vital part of your child’s health care. Not only do they ensure your child is developing as expected, and are up-to-date with their vaccinations, they also allow healthcare providers to detect signs of health problems that may require further evaluation or treatment.
It is for such reasons that the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends routine well-child checkups and physical examinations at the following ages:
- Within 3-5 days after birth
- 2 weeks
- 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 months of age
- 2 years
- 2 and a half years
- 3 years
- Every year after age 3 until aged 21
Some children may require additional checkups, depending on their specific needs and circumstances.
Why Use Pediatric Urgent Care for Your Child’s Physicals
Urgent care clinics accommodate patients with all types of non-life-threatening health issues that require immediate medical attention. Urgent care clinics are staffed with qualified healthcare professionals who are trained in emergency medicine, which enables them to provide the same—if not, better—quality of care as one can get from the emergency room.
Pediatric urgent care facilities provide comprehensive healthcare services for children of all groups. While you can take your child to their primary care physician to have their physicals, pediatric urgent care facilities offer significant advantages: the wait times are relatively shorter, and there’s no need for appointments.
Types of Child Physicals Done at Pediatric Urgent Care Clinics
Outlined below are the different types of child physicals offered at pediatric urgent care clinics:
- School Physical – The aim of a school physical is essentially to assess your child for physical and mental health problems that could affect their academic progress.
- Sports Physicals- This type of physical exam allows a healthcare provider to fully and accurately evaluate your child’s ability to safely compete or participate in sports. This also provides a healthcare provider the opportunity to educate your child on how to reduce their risk for injuries.
- Travel Physicals- Travel physicals may be recommended if you and your child are about to leave on a trip, especially to an international destination. During your travel physical, your provider can give the required vaccinations to protect you and your child from contracting certain infectious diseases, which may be prevalent in your travel destination.
Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic in North Richland Hills, TX
At EMC Express Care, our highly qualified healthcare providers offer a comprehensive range of high-quality pediatric urgent care services— including all types of physical exams— to address the healthcare needs of the youngest members of our community.
To book a child physical, call us today at (817) 503-8800— or you can simply walk in. We are open daily, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. We look forward to serving you!